FUNAKOSHI'S NIJU KUN
(20 PRINCIPLES OF KARATE)
1. In Karate, start with a bow and finish with a bow.
2. There is no first attack in Karate.
3. Karate is a great assistance to justice.
4. Know yourself first and then others.
5. Spirit first: techniques second.
6. Be ready to release your mind.
7. Accidents come out of idleness.
8. Do not think that you can learn Karate only in a Dojo.
9. It will take your entire life to learn Karate.
10. Karate is everything.
11. Karate is like hot water. If you do not give heat constantly, it will become cold water.
Founder Gichin Funakoshi
12. Do not think you have to win. Think, rather, that you do not have to lose.
13. Victory depends on your ability to tell vulnerable points from invulnerable ones.
14. Move according to your opponent.
15. Consider your opponent's hand and legs as you would sharp swords.
16. As soon as you lave home for work, think that millions of opponents are waiting for you.
17. Low stance for beginners; natural stance for advanced students.
18. Practicing a Kata is one thing and engaging in a real fight is another.
19. Do not forget (a) light and heavy applications of power, (b) expansion and contraction of the body, (c) slowness and speed of techniques.
20. Devise at all times.